For some, the holidays is a time for people kick back and relax with their friends and family, sitting by a beautifully decorated Christmas tree, surrounded by a pile of perfectly wrapped gifts. They might even stress a little, thinking about whether or not they should have gotten the 64GB iPad over the 32GB iPad for their kids.
For others, the holidays are a time where making ends meet is even harder. The holidays come with an expectation of gifts, something that might financially seem out of reach for someone who just bought new winter clothing for their kids.
For Hunger Actions members, the holidays are the perfect time for giving back to the community. With the help and generosity from Jeff Cooley of Booster Juice Central City, we were able to use his $1760 donation to provide 23 of our Hunger Actions participants with homemade gift baskets, filled with healthy food, household necessities, and relaxing goodies. The result? Twenty-two happy ladies with extra money in their pockets that could be used for savings or buying gifts for their families.
Some of the gift basket goodies included:
- Reusable storage basket
- Low sodium canned corn, peas, and beans
- Unsweetened dried apricots, dates, and/or apple sauce
- Whole wheat pasta, rice, bulger, and/or couscous
- Soap, loofah, toothpaste and toothbrush
- Lush Charity Pot body and hand lotion (entire cost goes back to charity)
- Face mask and lip balm
- Cough drops
- Milk chocolate bar
- Small toys, note pads, pencils, pens, fruit candy, and calculator, courtesy of G&F Financial Group
- A hand written card
- And more!
BIG thanks to Booster Juice Central City for their thoughtful donation! The ladies from our Salvation Army and YWCA workshops really appreciated the amazing baskets!
Have a happy and healthy holidays!