Creamy Tomato Soup (4 servings)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounce canned peeled whole tomatoes (approx. 800 grams)
- 1½ cups low-sodium chicken broth or water
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- In a medium sized pot, heat the oil under medium-high heat. Add onions and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the entire can of tomatoes, undrained, into the pot. Crush the tomatoes using the wooden spoon and cook until broken down and tender, for about 10 minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a simmer until tomatoes are broken down, for about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes. Using either a blender or hand blender, puree the soup until completely smooth.
- Return to low heat and add in heavy cream. Add salt and pepper to taste and additional garnishes such as fresh basil or parmesan cheese before serving.
Happy Holidays from Hunger Actions 🙂