Today is the first day of our “Heart to Health” 7 Days Healthy Eating Challenge! Check out the menu set we have prepared for you below 🙂
Breakfast: “I Loaf You” French Toast
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so start yours off with this simple and sweet french toast recipe that is sure to make your morning more enjoyable!
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup milk
- 4 slices of whole wheat or whole grain bread
- Beat the egg, cinnamon, and vanilla together in a dish. Stir in the milk.
- Dip the bread in the egg mixture, making sure to coat both sides evenly
- Cook bread slices in lightly greased skillet until lightly browned on both sides
Lunch: “Lettuce Be Together” Salad
This next recipe is a fresh green salad that you are sure to love! The sweetness of the strawberries in this salad perfectly complements the saltiness of the pecans, as well as the vinaigrette’s acidity.
Ingredients (for vinaigrette):
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Whisk all ingredients together until it is well combined.
- Add other optional ingredients such as ½ tsp of italian seasoning, squirt of lemon juice, pinch of red pepper flakes, 1 tsp dijon mustard, and many more!
Ingredients (for salad):
- 3 cups of torn spinach or baby spinach
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries (or a berry of your choice)
- ½ cup pecans
- In a large bowl, combine baby spinach, strawberries, blueberries and pecans.
- Add the dressing little by little and toss until greens are well-coated (you may have a bit left over but you’ll use most of it).
- Add salt and pepper to taste
Dinner: “Bae-ked” Lasagna (12 servings)
To finish off your day on a good note, this wholesome lasagna is not only delicious, but is also great to freeze for future meals!
- 4 cups meat sauce
- 3 cups spinach and cheese filling
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 cup low-fat Mozzarella cheese
- 1 pack of oven-ready lasagna noodles (About 9 sheets)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Follow diagram to stack lasagna in casserole dish.
- Cover lasagna with aluminum foil.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle grated cheese evenly over top. Return to oven and bake for 10 minutes longer.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into serving pieces.
**Use our healthy and delicious Hunger Actions recipes for the meat sauce and cottage cheese mixture!**
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium sized onion, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 rib celery, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 ¾ lbs. lean ground turkey or chicken
- 5.5 oz tin tomato paste
- ½ to ¾ cup of water (based on desired consistency)
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot on medium heat.
- Sauté onion until soft, for about 2 minutes. Add carrot and celery and sauté about 3 minutes longer. Add garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add ground turkey/chicken, breaking it up in the pan as it cooks. Cook the meat until it is no longer pink in color.
- Add tomato paste, water, sugar, basil, oregano, and diced tomatoes. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes to blend flavours. Check for consistency and if too thick, add a little bit more water. If too thin, increase heat briefly to medium-high to thicken. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 2 eggs
- 3 ½ cup (approx.) low-fat cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- 1 bunch fresh spinach, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs lightly to blend.
- Mix in cottage cheese/ricotta cheese and spinach and stir until fully incorporated. Add salt and pepper to taste.