Here is the second menu set we have prepared for you on Day 2 of our “Heart to Health” 7 Days Healthy Eating Challenge!
Breakfast: “I Like You Berry Much” Berry Smoothie
Smoothies are a refreshing and convenient breakfast whenever you are in a hurry. Using fat-free plain yogurt and adding a dash of oats into the blender is also a fantastic way to ensure that you are making healthy choices and adding some nutrients to your meal!
- 2 cups frozen mixed berries
- 2 cups fat free plain yogurt
- 100 mL milk
- ¼ cup oats
- 2 tsp honey
- Blend the berries, yogurt and milk together with a blender until smooth.
- Stir in the oats, then pour into 4 glasses and serve with a drizzle of honey.
Lunch: “You’re Egg-straordinary” Omelette (1 serving)
Most people assume that omelettes are strictly a breakfast food, but here at Hunger Actions we are reintroducing it as a tasty and hearty lunch option, filled with healthy ingredients!
- ¼ cup chopped spinach leaves
- 2 portobello mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ½ a red/green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup grated cheese
- 2 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Combine eggs, salt and pepper in a large bowl, beating with a whisk
- Heat oil on a skillet over medium-high heat, swirl to coat.
- Add mushrooms and bell peppers and saute until vegetables are soft. Remove vegetable mixture from pan and set aside; clean pan.
- Return pan to medium-high heat. Add 1 tsp of oil to pan, swirl to coat.
- Pour the egg mixture to pan and spread evenly. Wait until edges begin to set, then add desired amount of cheese, spinach, mushrooms and bell peppers on half of the egg mixture.
- When the center of the egg is beginning to set, fold omelette in half and cook on both sides evenly until fully cooked.
Dinner: “You Have A Pizza My Heart” Mini Pizza
Who doesn’t love pizza? These mini pizzas prepared on individual sized english muffins are quick and easy to make, and are definitely something that both you and your kids will enjoy!
- 4 english muffins, split
- ½ a zucchini
- ½ cup sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1 tomato
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375℉
- Cut the zucchini, mushrooms, and tomato into thin slices and set aside
- Evenly spread the tomato sauce onto each english muffin half
- Evenly distribute the cheese and toppings onto each english muffin
- Bake for approximately 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and browned at the edges
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce can) whole, peeled tomatoes
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- In a medium sized pot, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Saute diced onions and minced garlic cloves until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes with its juices to the pot and crush with a wooden spoon. Cook until soft, for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and thyme. Simmer the sauce for about 10-15 minutes until thick.