Breakfast: : “You Are The Apple Of My Eye” Apples & Peanut Butter
Crisp, sweet apples dipped in creamy peanut butter is the perfect nutritious breakfast for Day 3 of our Valentine’s Day campaign!
- 2 Large Apples
- 1 cup all-natural peanut butter (crunchy or smooth)
- OR almond butter
**OPTIONAL: Other dried fruits or nuts**
- Cut the apple into wedges. Set aside to make the peanut butter dip.
- In a bowl, use a fork to combine the peanut butter with dried fruits and nuts until it is an even mixture
Lunch: “You Make Me Feel Sunny Side Up” Eggs & Avocado Toast)
Avocados are extremely versatile, and super healthy too! They are also loaded with fiber and omega-3 fatty acids which can help lower your cholesterol, as well. Find out more about other foods that contain healthy fats in our blog post here.
Ingredients (for the avocado toast):
- ½ an avocado
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 egg
- Cut the avocado in half, remove the pit, and scoop into a bowl.
- Add the lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Mash the ingredients together with a fork, keeping the texture slightly chunky
- Spread half the avocado mash evenly onto each piece of toast. Drizzle with olive oil to garnish!
Directions (for eggs):
- Heat a lightly oiled pan over medium-high heat.
- Crack an egg into a pan and cook until the whites of the eggs are set but the yolk is still runny.
- Serve with toast.
Dinner: “I Like You From My Head to-mah-toes” Spaghetti (2 servings)
This basic yummy spaghetti recipe is always a family favourite, and can be cooked in large portions to save for future meals!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce can) whole, peeled tomatoes
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp thyme
- 4 ounces spaghetti noodles
- In a medium sized pot, heat olive oil on medium-high heat. Saute diced onions and minced garlic cloves until soft, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the canned tomatoes with its juices to the pot and crush with a wooden spoon. Cook until soft, for about 5 minutes.
- Add salt and thyme. Simmer the sauce for about 10-15 minutes until thick and keep on low heat.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta according to directions on the package. Drain noodles and serve with sauce.